Stuffed vegetables with rice and soya
Ingredient for 8 servings:
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 yellow bell peppers
- 2 green bell peppers
For the filling:
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 6 mushrooms, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 courgette, grated
- 75g dried soya mincemeat
- 2 tomatoes, grated
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1/3 cup basmati rice
- 1/3 bunch dill
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 1/3 bunch spearmint
- 5 tbsp dried spearmint
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp dried oregano
To assemble :
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 lemons, juiced
- Salt & pepper
- 250ml tomato juice
- ½ cup water
*tbsp: tablespoon tsp: tablespoon cup: 250ml
For the stuffed vegetables :
- Remove the stems from the tomatoes and cut the top part to make a kind of “lid”. Carefully remove the flesh from the tomatoes, using a teaspoon.
- Transfer to a 36×28 cm baking pan.
- Cut the tops of the green peppers in the same manner and remove the seeds and ribs. Slice off a little of the base so they can be positioned upright, but make sure not to create a hole at the bottom. Add them to the baking pan along with the potatoes.
For the filling :
- Soak dried soya mincemeat in warm water for 10 minutes in order to rehydrate. Then, rinse the soya mincemeat under water and drain.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C .
- Place a deep pan over heat, let it get hot.
- Add the olive oil and then finely chopped the onion, garlic, and the edges from the peppers.
- Add to the mushrooms and sauté until all the moisture evaporates.
- Add the carrot and the courgette and sauté
- Add the rehydrated soya mincemeat and sauté
- Add the grated tomatoes and let them cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the rice and the bouillon cube and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Lower heat and add the herbs (dill, parsley, spearmint, dried spearmint, olive oil).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- When the filling is ready, remove from heat.
- Fill the vegetables to the rim, cover with their “lids” and set aside.
- Add the tomato juice, water, lemon juice and 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Cover with parchment paper and then foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove coverings and bake again for 20-30 minutes, until nice and golden.
- When ready, let them cool down.
Dietitians Tip: Serve with greek tzatziki dip in order to make your meal complete.
Nutritional Value per serving(1 stuffed vegetable):
Total Fat: 4 g
Carbohydrate: 17 g
Protein: 5 g
Vitamins and Minerals
Vitamin A: 60 %
Vitamin C: 300%
*Percent Daily Values based on a 2,000 kcal diet.
Clinical Dietitian -nutritionist, MSc