Pumpkin and carrot soup
Throw in a tasty dose of immunity-enhancing ingredients and you’re well on your way to avoiding the winter blues! The added carrot, ginger and extra virgin olive oil not only give it a refreshing taste but add some great health benefits due to its high vitamin A and healthy fats content.
Ingredients for 2 servings:
- 500g pumpkin
- 8 Carrots
- 1 onion (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves (optional)
- 2 teaspoon fresh ginger puree
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup coconut milk
- Salt & pepper
*tbsp: tablespoon tsp: tablespoon cup: 250ml
- Peel and cut the pumpkin and carrot into cubes. Place in a large saucepan, cover with water and simmer over medium heat until the vegetables are tender.
- In the meantime chop the onion, crush the garlic and ginger.
- In a saucepan place the olive oil and add the onion, garlic, and ginger. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Remove some water from the pumpkin and carrot saucepan (as much as you like, depending on whether you want a more thick texture)
- Add the sautéed onion, garlic and ginger in the saucepan with the carrot and pumpkin.
- To blend the ingredients into a smooth soup place all the ingredients into a food processor
- Lastly, at the coconut milk, season with salt and pepper and bring to the boil and simmer for another 15-20 minutes.
Dietitian’s Tip: For a complete meal, serve this soup with chunks of boiled chicken breast and a slice of whole-wheat toast with some olive oil and dried oregano.
Nutritional Value per serving:
Fat: 9 g
Carbohydrate: 40 g
Dietary Fiber: 10 g
Protein: 5 g
Vitamins and Minerals: *
Vitamin A: 400 %
Vitamin B-6: 20 %
Calcium: 23 %
Manganese: 26 %
* Percentage of Reference Daily Intake based on 2000 kcal
Clinical Dietitian -Nutritionist, BSc, MSc