Burgers with quinoa, sweet potato and beans
Vegan – Fasting burgers with quinoa, sweet potato and beans. These burgers are excellent choice for those who want to increase their fiber intake, because of their fiber content. Each burger contains 9g of fiber.
Ingredients for 6 burgers:
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 150g sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- ½ cup of red kidney beans, cooked
- 1/2 cup of beans, cooked
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 3 medium mushrooms, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli, diced (optional)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce (less salt)
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- ½ cup coriander, chopped
- 1 tbsp. of spelt flour
- 100g oats
tbsp.: tablespoon 15ml, tsp.: teaspoon 5ml, cup.: 1 cup 250ml
- Place the sweet potato chunks in a saucepan of boiling water on a medium heat. Cook for 15 minutes or until soft. Drain and put it on the side.
- Meanwhile, cook the quinoa according to packet instructions.
- In a pan on a medium heat, add a drizzle of olive oil along with the mushrooms. Sauté for a few minutes.
- Next, in a large bowl, mash half of the red kidney and white beans into a paste.
- Pour in the rest of the beans along with the diced red chilli, red onion, crushed garlic, olive oil, paprika, oregano, soy sauce, cooked sweet potato chunks, chopped coriander, cooked quinoa, spelt flour and oats.
- Combine thoroughly before shaping into 6 patties and placing on a lined baking tray.
- Ideally place the tray in the fridge overnight, but if not for a minimum of an hour.
- When ready to cook preheat the oven to 180 oC.
- Cook the burgers for 20 minutes on each side. If they seem dry on the outside simply brush a small amount of olive oil on them.
- Serve with whole wheat bread, salad and enjoy!
Nutritional Value per burger:
Energy / Calories: 293 kcal
Fat: 7 g
Carbohydrates: 46 g.
Fiber: 9 g.
Protein: 13 g.
Vitamins & Minerals:
Clinical Dietitian-Nutritionist, Msc