Borscht is very nutritious soup with an endless list of nutrients (see list below) and is a very common food in Russia. It’s known for the beautiful ruby-red color that comes from adding beets.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 400g lean beef (Beef: sirloin, stew meat or with bones)
- 4 medium beets, peeled and shredded
- 3 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, shredded
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
For garnish (in each bowl)
- 2 tbsp 0% fat greek strained yogurt
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley or dill
*tbsp: tablespoon tsp: tablespoon cup: 250ml
- Place beef chunks in a large soup pot with 3.5 L cold water and 1 tbsp salt
- Bring to a boil and remove the foam crud
- Lower the heat, partially cover and cook at a low heat for 35 minutes
- Place the grated onion and garlic in a large skillet with 4 tbsp olive oil and sauté
- Add the beets in the skillet and sauté for 5 minutes
- Add 2 tbsp tomato sauce and mix thoroughly and sauté until starting to soften
- Add grated carrot and celery and sauté another 5 minute
- Once the meat has been cooking at least 35 min, place potatoes into the soup pot and cook 10 min, then add cabbage, sautéed beets, celery, onion & carrot, and chopped tomatoes. Cook another 15 minutes or until potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Add 2 bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- Serve garnished with yogurt and fresh parsley or dill.
Dietitians tip: You can use pork instead of beef if you want to make it a bit lighter. Also, it can be served vegetarian-style by omitting the beef.
Nutritional Value per serving :
Energy: 470 kcal
Fat: 21 g
Carbohydrate: 45 g
Protein: 25 g
Vitamins and Minerals :
Vitamin A: 131%
Vitamin B12: 41%
Vitamin B6: 50%
Vitamin C: 123 %
Folate: 34 %
Iron: 25 %
Magnesium: 24 %
Manganese: 37 %
*Percent Daily Values based on a 2,000 kcal diet.
Clinical Dietitian -Νutritionist, MSc